BTW month--Commute Challege: Day three
This morning I broke the second shoe lace in a week on my almost year old bike cleats. Now, my laces are the same ones I had in the old hiking boots I had in Asia. The left one is purple and blue 4mm cord, the right is a white p-cord. Rungi-chungi is the Nepali word for colorful.
It was misting when I left this morning at 6 AM. The new commute to Eckstein Middle School is nearly the same route as the one to UPrep but the start time for school is much earlier. I swear that riding my bike is the best part of my working day. I love the ritual. The UW crew team pulls water towards the Montlake cut just as I cross the bridge. If they're on the west side of the cut, I'm running late. The Buke Gillman trail is alive with spring. This morning I hiss along the pavement alone. There are few others this early. I love the air and the deep breaths I take.
The ride home today was not without incident. The sun played games with clouds all day but didn't win enough to suggest I change lenses in my glasses. I stayed with the yellow, doned the yellow jacket and pushed off into the 6 PM skies. At the UW intersection I stop for a red light with the usual doctors, nurses, and medical staff at the UW hospital. I've worked later than normal and there are fewer folks on the corner, waiting, as we do in Seattle, for the light. But there were just enough of them to see me absentmindedly tip over--while standing there! Ugh. I skinned my right knee and banged my left shin against the pedal. The pain was gone by the time I crested the hill home.
Tomorrow: Day four of the WRQ Commute Challenge http://www.cascade.org/Education/btw/cc.cfm
It was misting when I left this morning at 6 AM. The new commute to Eckstein Middle School is nearly the same route as the one to UPrep but the start time for school is much earlier. I swear that riding my bike is the best part of my working day. I love the ritual. The UW crew team pulls water towards the Montlake cut just as I cross the bridge. If they're on the west side of the cut, I'm running late. The Buke Gillman trail is alive with spring. This morning I hiss along the pavement alone. There are few others this early. I love the air and the deep breaths I take.
The ride home today was not without incident. The sun played games with clouds all day but didn't win enough to suggest I change lenses in my glasses. I stayed with the yellow, doned the yellow jacket and pushed off into the 6 PM skies. At the UW intersection I stop for a red light with the usual doctors, nurses, and medical staff at the UW hospital. I've worked later than normal and there are fewer folks on the corner, waiting, as we do in Seattle, for the light. But there were just enough of them to see me absentmindedly tip over--while standing there! Ugh. I skinned my right knee and banged my left shin against the pedal. The pain was gone by the time I crested the hill home.
Tomorrow: Day four of the WRQ Commute Challenge http://www.cascade.org/Education/btw/cc.cfm


<< Home